Gr 2 Social Worker – Melbourne
Position: Full Time
A leading hospital in Melbourne is looking to hire a Grade 2 social worker to provide quality care to clients through competent clinical skills, effective communication, and active participation within a multidisciplinary team environment.
Social workers in Australia aim to provide comprehensive assessment to enable a targeted intervention plan to be developed in consultation with the patient, their family, carers and significant others. Specialisations and priorities for Social Worker’s working in public hospitals include comprehensive psychosocial and risk assessments, effective discharge planning, coordinated and integrated approach to service delivery, facilitation of residential care, family or group work, client advocacy, advanced
counselling, participation in quality improvement activities, teaching, research, policy or program development, and provision of professional supervision.
This position includes rostered weekend shifts and is considered to be a Weekend Worker as per the award. The Grade 2 Social Worker provides a key service to the multidisciplinary team and rotates through different clinical areas.
Scope of practice as outlined in Australian Association of Social Workers Practice Standards.
The Social Work department consists of approximately 47 EFT across the hospital sites. We provide care to our patients within the acute, subacute and community therapy services. The department is supported by the SW Managers and SW workforce development manager. The SW department is committed to providing evidence based, patient centred practice. Supervision and reflective practice, professional development and quality improvement are a key focus of Social Work at the hospital.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide quality patient focused care to patients and their carers through competent, evidence-based
- clinical skills relating to assessment, interventions and discharge planning
- Involve patients / carers / significant others in the decision making of treatment goals and discharge
- Demonstrate multi-disciplinary health care approach that achieves desired patient outcomes
- Prioritisation of caseload and management of competing priorities including delegation where
- Initiate and drive a co-ordinated team approach to patient care
- Display sensitivity and knowledge of ethical and multicultural issues and provide culturally aware
- Display sound organisational skills through efficient time management, professional responsibility and
- Manage risk and actively work toward implementing risk reduction strategies
- Display effective communication by demonstrating sound verbal, non-verbal and written skills
- Role model timely collection, entry and analysis of statistics as directed by senior staff and /or
- Liaise and negotiate effectively with senior Medical, Nursing and Allied Health staff
- Foster positive team dynamics and workplace culture
- Ensure documentation of patient care is in accordance with Melbourne Health and discipline specific
- Ensure timely collection, entry and analysis of statistics as directed by senior staff and /or manager
- Provide clinical supervision to Grade 1 Social Work staff as per discipline and AASW Guidelines
- Demonstrate mentoring role for Grade 1 Social Work Staff
- Participate in supervision from more senior staff member as per discipline and AASW Guidelines and
- participate in Individual Development, Work Planning & Annual Discussions
- Develop the Individual Development, Work Planning and Annual Discussions of staff
- Actively engage in professional development and model a commitment to lifelong learning
- Actively participate in internal and external continuing education
- Actively participate in Social Work Portfolio group assigned to role
- Access information as necessary to improve knowledge and skills
- Supervise and teach undergraduate Social Work Students through the program/s run for
- Undergraduate Students
- Participate in the development, implementation and review of social work student education in
- conjunction with senior staff
- Demonstrate the ability to assume extra responsibilities as requested by the supervisor or senior
- Participate in clinical teaching activities within the profession
- Contribute to educating and raising awareness of the Social Work role within the hospital.
- Assist in the review and implementation of policies and procedures specific to the discipline and
- clinical area
- Participate in continuous quality improvement activities and research activities both within the clinical
- team and department as required
- Participate in presentations, conferences, workshops and service development initiatives as required
- Participate in the collection and entry of statistics in a timely manner as directed by Senior clinician
- and/or Social Work and Cultural Diversity Manager
- Comply with Quality Management policies, Occupational Health and Safety Legislative obligations,
- Equal Employment and Opportunity Legislation and Melbourne Health Policies and Procedures.
- Assist in maximising opportunities to further expand the role and profile of Social Workers within the
Skills and Requirements
Formal Qualification(s) and Required Registration(s):
- A current Victorian driver’s licence (Irish drivers’ licences generally can be transferred).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team and in cooperation with others.
- Clinical Skills in comprehensive assessment, discharge planning and counselling.
- Knowledge of the theory and principals of professional supervision.
- Knowledge and application of Social Work theory.
- Professional behaviour and conduct that which reflects self-initiative, confidentiality and selfevaluation. Commitment to continued professional development.
- Ability to manage a demanding workload, and effectively prioritise tasks.
- Skills in Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- At least 4 years’ experience as a practicing Social Worker
- Satisfactory police check and working with children check.
- Previous experience in working within a public hospital setting.
- Previous experience in research, program evaluation / development.
- Previous experience in providing professional supervision
- Attractive Relocation package up to $10,000
- Further Education
- Career Development
- Work-life balance with low patient to staff ratios
If you are interested or would like to hear more information on this role, email [email protected] with your CV or apply through our link.
Why apply through NexVentur
- We will offer you an exceptional career & relocation service for Ireland, Australia and the UK.
- We can assist with Visas, Flights, Insurance, Tax Advice, Bank & Forex and many more.
- We make life moves easy by creating life moving solutions.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Browse all our vacant healthcare roles here
Follow us on social media for more updates: