CONSTRUCTION & ENGINEERING
HSE & Training Coordinator - 1544
Position: Permanent | Full Time
This position, reporting to the Director, is responsible for ensuring that Health,
Safety & Environmental (HSE) practices are carried out in accordance with the
Balmain & Co. Integrated Management System (IMS) and with all legislative
and regulatory requirements. The incumbent is also responsible for the HSE
training of all staff, sub-contractors and consultants working on Balmain & Co.
sites. The incumbent will also have a demonstrated commitment to and
understanding of the core principles of AS 4801; ISO 14001 and ISO 9001.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The delivery of the project(s) in a safe and sustainable manner. This includes:
- Assist the project team in the development of IMS site documentation including but not limited to: project risk assessments, aspects registers, site safety plans and general site establishment activities.
- Ensure the project teams are effectively implementing the IMS , particularly in the responsibilities related to health, safety and environmental protection
- Continually holding themselves and all other site personnel accountable for safe outcomes.
- Making safety their highest priority and always ensure it comes first in all business reviews and decisions.
- Living and working to the credo that every incident is preventable.
- Speaking up when any unsafe actions or conditions are observed.
- Closely collaborate with Site Managers to achieve satisfactory safety outcomes.
- Reporting all incidents, injuries and near misses.
- Reading all internal HSE correspondence or alerts and take action where appropriate, including disseminating to sites as appropriate
- Ensure that site personnel have conductions site inductions as required
- Keep informed as to changes and updates to relevant Acts, Regulations, Standards and Codes of Practice and identify resultant IMS updates and/ or alerts to site personnel
- Undertaking ongoing assessments/ inspections (at a maximum of monthly intervals for each site) of projects to identify any hazardous conditions and practices, assess compliance with policies, the IMS, risk assessments, SWMS, etc. and with relevant HSE legislative requirements and standards. Record findings/ issues in HammerTech and assign actions as required.
- Supporting Project Managers and Site Managers in driving HSE performance on the project by identifying trends, identifying compliance issues and in identifying and implementing initiatives designed to drive performance and prevent reoccurrence.
- Providing support and guidance to the construction team in adhering to the HSE requirements of the Integrated Management System and with legislative requirements
- Ensure that Site Managers are conducting documented weekly safety walks (recorded in HammerTech and actions assigned) and ensuring close out of actions and communications resulting from the inspection of the project are completed as required
- Conducting incident investigations and compiling reports as required
- Providing weekly and monthly HSE performance reports to management
- Assist project personnel in the development of safe work method statement as required
- Review of onsite compliance with safe work method statements and liaise with Balmain & Co. personnel and sub-contractors with regards to meeting expected safety & environmental outcomes.
- Take part in regular internal and external auditing, and close out audit outcomes in a timely manner.
The management and leadership of team members. This includes:
- Conduct company Inductions
- The training of others in the understanding and use of the IMS and other relevant legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Training of others in the use of HammerTech
- The completion of all mandatory Company training.
- Monitor training requirements of all personnel, ensuring training is conducted and refresher training is undertaken as required. Record and file training records. Receive, record and file training feedback
- Monitor hearing test requirements and ensure testing and retesting is conducted as required
- Monitor immunistation and health surveillance requirements generally and ensure both are conducted as required
- Fulfilling the role of Return to Work Coordinator
- The ability to promote a positive team environment and a collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to promote a positive safety culture, with the ability to drive and champion change where required to meet HSE obligations.
- The willingness to embrace key project initiatives and to lead by example.
- The ability to work closely and co-operatively with the Balmain & Co. Management Team to ensure that the HSE aspects of projects are delivered and to the required cost and quality standard.
- The ability to conduct business to the highest ethical standards
- A strong attention to detail.
- A strong sense of drive and ambition to produce exceptional results.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all internal and external stakeholders in a positive and proactive manner.
Knowledge And Skills
- A strong ability to influence construction teams, sub-contractors and consultants towards the successful delivery of a safe and sustainable working environment
- A proven track record of the implementation of HSE best-practice and the ability to implement such best practice in a dynamic and rapidly expanding environment
- A proven ability to prioritize works to meet key deadlines, with the ability to be flexible and adapt in rapidly changing environments.
- Knowledge and understanding of all relevant Acts, Regulations, Standards and Codes of Practice
Education And Experience
- Three years construction experience in construction industry including the successful involvement in project construction cycles with commercial builders.
- A minimum of Certificate III in OH&S, and demonstrated experience in the field of Health and Safety.
- An excellent working knowledge of the governing principals of AS 4801; ISO 14001 and ISO 9001.
- The ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally to all Balmain & Co. company personnel as well as relevant stakeholder groups.
- The ability to apply HSE principles to problem solving.
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships with direct Balmain & Co. personnel and relevant stakeholders.