Team Midwife – Victoria - 3606
Position: Full Time
Are you a Grade 2 Midwife looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to experience a wide variety of settings? Our client is a leading hospital in Victoria specializing in all aspects of women’s healthcare. They are looking to hire an experienced midwife to join their midwifery service.
The hospital’s Midwifery Service has five multidisciplinary teams. Each team provides care for approximately 1,700 -1,800 of the women booked for maternity care, including a mix of high, medium and low risk pregnancies. The team covers the whole continuum of care from antenatal care, birth, postnatal care and through to home-based visits. The hospital’s ultimate goal is that every midwife has the ability to work in a variety of settings within this model. It is recognised that not every midwife wishes to work across the entire continuum and this will be respected where possible, however each midwife must have a fundamental set of criteria outlined by the maternity service leadership team. There is an expectation that all team midwives be confident and competent in at least two clinical areas of maternity services. No team midwife will work in one clinical area exclusively.
Key Performance Indicators
Key performance measures are how you will be measured as meeting the responsibilities of the position listed above. These will be set with you as part of your Performance Development plan within the first six months of your appointment to the position.
- Evidence of supporting Team Care by acquiring midwifery skills necessary to provide care across at least two areas of the continuum.
- Contribution to multidisciplinary handover meetings.
- All mandatory training and competency requirements are met.
- Appropriate contribution to support the achievement of KPI’s for overall Team Care model.
- Participation in multidisciplinary education sessions and orientation program.
- Evidence of effective communication within the Team.
The Team Midwife is responsible for providing care to women and their families within a multidisciplinary Team environment, working collegially with other health professionals. The Team Midwife works under the leadership of a more senior member usually the Associate Unit Manager, and ensures that services provided are:
- Women focused to respect the rights, needs and expectations of the childbearing woman.
- Integrated and consistent.
- Supportive of a learning environment for all colleagues.
Responsibilities & Major Activities
The Team Midwife has responsibilities across the following areas:
- Advocates for the concepts of continuity of care and comprehensive midwifery led care
- Provides care for women in at least two areas of the pregnancy and childbirth continuum
- Demonstrated ability to work across midwifery scope of practice and/or evidence of clinical update and completion of same
- Collaborates with medical and other health professionals as determi for care
- Refers women to medical or other health professionals when complications or deviations from normal occur
- Works professionally, safely and effectively, in accordance with RWH Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs), policies and procedures
- Appropriately assesses, plans, implements, evaluates and contemporaneously documents midwifery and neonatal care.
- Is approachable and receptive to the provision of clinical assistance to others when required and requested.
- Attends and participates in team meetings and other service meetings as required to assist in maintaining clear lines of communication and information exchange within the team.
- Provides appropriate responses to all relevant emergency situations and takes responsibility for ensuring that all compulsory emergency training competencies have been completed.
- Actively participates in multidisciplinary handovers.
- Maintains a professional approach and respects the needs of women, visitors and other health professionals.
- Maintains an awareness of team clinical outcomes and provides feedback/information to the team AUMs (and Team Leader) on a regular basis.
- Aims to maximise continuity and consistency of care for team women across the continuum
- Supports the training / education needs of the team members, by facilitating opportunities for learning
- Demonstrates support of colleagues
- Provides orientation / preceptoring / mentoring to staff as delegated
Quality and Safety
- Participates in the deve other quality improvement activities as requested
- Supports any projects (including research projects) within the team
- Ensures all incidents / near misses are identified and reported, and they are used to promote reflection and learning within a supportive environment underpinned by a no-blame philosophy.
- Ensures the Midwifery Team Leader is informed
- Provides appropriate support, mentoring and training for all clinicians as requested
- Has an understanding and commitment to Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) re-accreditation processes.
- Is committed to their ongoing professional development and ensures all mandatory training and competency requirements are met
Key Selection Criteria
- Registration with APHRA as a Midwife (see more details)
- Relevant clinical experience with commitment to evidence-based outcomes
- Demonstrated willingness to work towards developing skills to provide care across the continuum
- Ability to meet the RWH Maternity Services midwifery skills set (or willingness to work towards developing these skills) of being able to provide fundamental care to women in labour: includes admission observations and history taking, CTG observation and interpretation, acting as second midwife at a birth, neonatal resuscitation and provision of midwifery care during a caesarean section
- Ability to plan, prioritise and time manageUtilises available resources effectively and efficiently for the delivery of evidence-based midwifery care
- Experience in working effectively and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Respects cultural diversity of childbearing women
- Demonstrated high level of verbal, written and electronic communication skills
- Understanding of and commitment to the RWH strategic direction, and relevant policy / guidelines.
- Membership of a Midwifery professional body
- Post graduate qualification
- Experience in IV cannulation (or willingness to work towards developing this skill).
- Experience in speculum examinations (or willingness to work towards developing this skill)
- Experience in perineal suturing (or willingness to work towards developing this skill)
- Experience in providing care to women with high dependency needs (or willingness to work towards developing this skill).
- Embodies the Women’s values of courage, passion, discovery and respect
- Is committed to a multidisciplinary team approach an values/supports collaboration by a range of professionals in providing care to meet the individiaul needs to women
- Has a passion for midwifery
- Is an advocate for women and supports / promotes midwifery led care for low-risk women.
- Understands the impact of social determinants on health and wellbeing P
romotes and supports customer service / involvement and family-centred care
- Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills and is able to respond to the needs of hospital staff in a timely, accessible and professional manner
- Values consultation, collaboration and joint decision-making
- Is approachable and able to act as a resource for all staff
- Is able to balance competing and conflicting priorities
- Has a professional demeanour
- Is committed to ongoing professional development, and continually identifies professional development goals and pursues opportunities for learning, whilst also acknowledging the right of the hospital to designate certain educational sessions as compulsory
- Values reflective practice/clinical supervision and accesses support, assistance, advice and debriefing as required.
- Competitive Salary
- Relocation Package: $2,000 – $10,000
- Further education and training
- Career progression
- Work-life balance with good nurse to patient ratios
If you are interested or would like to hear more information on this role, email Carole with your CV at [email protected], or phone +353 (0)87 108 5537 or apply through our link.
Why apply through NexVentur
- We will offer you an exceptional career & relocation service for Ireland, Australia and the UK.
- We can assist with Visas, Flights, Insurance, Tax Advice, Bank & Forex and many more.
- We can assist with professional registration for Australia.
- We make life moves easy by creating life moving solutions.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Broswe all our vacant roles here