Registered Nurse/Registered Midwife – Victoria
Position: Full Time
Our client is a leading women’s hospital in Victoria that has been providing health services to women and newborn babies since 1865. They are looking to hire a Registered Nurse/Registered Midwife for their Women’s Emergency Department.
Department/Unit Specific Overview
The Women’s Emergency Care (WEC) department provides emergency assessment and management of acute presentations to the hospital. The focus is on the specialist health needs of women and includes acute obstetrics, gynaecology, and women’s cancer care. They also provide assessment of neonates. The department provides direct primary clinical care for women with acute obstetric and gynaecological problems and newborns with a range of neonatal conditions. This is a patient-centred department with the focus on the clinical wellbeing of our patients whilst recognizing and supporting the other aspects of care, e.g. psychological, psychosocial, social, and socioeconomic. This requires extensive liaison and co-ordination with varying departments within the hospital such as WSSS, CASA and Mental Health.
The Women’s Emergency Service provides the following services:
- Immediate assessment and intervention for women with conditions relating specifically to Maternity and Women’s Health. For example, assessment of bleeding in early pregnancy, pelvic pain, breast conditions, emergency contraception, and abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Gynaecological care of women across the spectrum of age
- Sexual Assault support services to CASA providing clinical support (medical and / or nursing / midwifery)
- An Assessment Centre for monitoring, assessing women in early labor, and antenatal conditions, and gynaecological conditions requiring short term treatment
- An Early Pregnancy Assessment Service (EPAS) has been established to provide a coordinated and specialised care of the woman experiencing pain / bleeding in Early Pregnancy.
The department manages over 25,000 presentations annually and provide a range of assessment services within the department, including emergency care, maternity assessment centre and early pregnancy assessment service. The department is staffed by a mix of Registered Midwives and Nurses, Emergency and O&G specialists and Medical officers. The collaboration of these groups is key to the delivery of emergency care.
The Registered Nurse/Midwife is responsible for providing safe, holistic clinical care from the first point of contact, across the continuum of care at the hospital, through to follow-up after discharge. The Registered Nurse/Midwife will work collaboratively with team members, and stakeholders to ensure that women are cared for with sensitivity and professionalism. The Registered Nurse/Midwife fulfils the obligations of the professional role by assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of all assigned patients in the unit.
Leadership and Management
The RN / RM will assist the NUM and ANUM group to manage the Unit by:
- Being aware of the Unit and organisational goals and achieving these.
- Actively participating as a unit team member
- Acting as a role model for other staff.
- Initiating and participating in Quality Improvement Activities.
- Careful utilisation of consumables.
- Representing the Unit as required in a professional capacity.
- Participating in activities outside the unit in related fields of interest.
- Participating in strategic planning for the unit.
- Liaison with other health professionals and community services.
Human Resource Management
The RN / RM will assist the NUM / AUM to manage human resources on a daily basis.
The RN / RM will:
- Ensure that accurate information and records are maintained as stated in the hospital policies and Procedures.
- Ensure that all documentation meets the requirements of Health & Community Services, DHS and Health Information Services.
- Ensure patient confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- Use of the Electronic Medical Records (EMR)
Safe Practice and Environment
The RN / RM will:
- Will implement the RWH Policies and Procedures
- Be aware and involved in Occupational Health & Safety,
- Be aware of and work in accordance with Hospital policies and procedures, including Occupational Health and Safety, Equal
- Employment Opportunity and Confidentiality. Thus ensuring a safe environment is maintained for patients, visitors and staff.
- Be respectful of the needs of patients, visitors and other staff and maintain a professional approach to all interactions.
The RN / RM will be:
- Actively involved in personal professional development.
- Actively involved in Unit Based Education.
- Ensures they meet credentialing and registration requirements
- Ensure operational performance meets RWH policies, procedures, accreditation and statutory requirements
- Participate in research and /quality activities. Promote research in line with Department’s operational plan and key funding opportunities.
- Continuous Improvement – Provide a structure for identification of opportunities and implementation of customer service improvements
- Be a member of appropriate professional organisations.
Continuum of Care
The RN/ RM:
- Provides direct patient care involving the patient, the family, and medical, nursing and other disciplines as appropriate.
- Has a customer service focus.
- Notify and manage escalated client issues or complaints as appropriate.
- Demonstrates clinical, theoretical and practical skills as appropriate to level of experience and speciality.
- Maintains and further develops clinical skills.
- Acts as a clinical resource as appropriate to fellow staff.
- Co-ordinates inpatient and community services to individual patients, ensuring quality patient outcomes.
- Follows Clinical Practise Guidelines and RWH Policies and Procedures.
- Demonstrates interpersonal skills and communicates well with patients and their families, colleagues, medical staff and ancillary staff.
Key Performance Indicators
Key performance measures are how you will be measured as meeting the responsibilities of the position listed above. These will be set with you as part of your Performance Development plan within the first six months of your appointment to the position.
The RN /RM will have their performance review in association with the Nursing Unit Manager or nominated AUM. This may include reference to accreditation requirements, particular standards or benchmarks and any major Operational Plan goals identified for the Department and Hospital.
Key Selection Criteria
- Registered as a Division 1 Registered Nurse / Registered Midwife with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (see more details)
- Relevant clinical experience with commitment to evidence-based outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritise and time manage.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated written and electronic communication skills
- Commitment to providing excellent clinical care in a Team Centred environment and philosophy.
- Understanding of and commitment to the RWH strategic direction, and relevant policy / guidelines.
- Demonstrated evidence of commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Experience in working within a diverse cultural environment
- Membership of a Midwifery professional body.
- Postgraduate qualification.
- Experience in IV cannulation (or willingness to work towards developing this skill).
- Experience in Triage / Emergency or Acute care environments
- Demonstrated ability to be able to coordinate care to women with high dependency needs or a willingness to attain competency.
- Is committed to a multidisciplinary team approach and values / supports collaboration by a range of professionals in providing care to meet the individual needs of women.
- Has a passionate interest in midwifery and nursing. Is an advocate for women and supports, promotes and advocates for midwifery led care for low-risk women.
- Understands the impact of social determinants on health and wellbeing.
- Promotes and supports customer service / involvement and family-centred care.
- Has excellent communication and interpersonal skills and is able to respond to the needs of various staff and hospital departments in a timely, accessible and professional manner.
- Values and participates in consultation, collaboration and joint decision-making.
- Is able to balance competing and conflicting priorities.
- Is open and approachable and able to act as a resource to junior staff.
- Has a commitment to clinical excellence and customer service.
- Has a professional demeanour.
- Is committed to ongoing professional development, and continually identifies professional development goals and pursues opportunities for learning, whilst also acknowledging the right of the hospital to designate certain educational sessions as compulsory
- Values reflective practice/ clinical supervision and accesses support, assistance, advice and debriefing as required.
- Embodies the hospital’s values of courage, passion, discovery and respect
- Competitive Salary
- Relocation Package: $2,000 – $10,000
- Further education and training
- Career progression
- Work-life balance with good nurse to patient ratios
If you are interested or would like to hear more information on this role, email Carole with your CV at [email protected], or phone +353 (0)87 108 5537 or apply through our link.
Why apply through NexVentur
- We will offer you an exceptional career & relocation service for Ireland, Australia and the UK.
- We can assist with Visas, Flights, Insurance, Tax Advice, Bank & Forex and many more.
- We can assist with professional registration for Australia.
- We make life moves easy by creating life moving solutions.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Broswe all our vacant roles here