Registered Psychiatric Nurse
Salary: Competitive DOE
Position: Full time
Nexventur is working closely with a leading children’s hospital in Melbourne that has been providing outstanding care for the children’s of Victoria and their families for the past 150 years. The hospital is a major specialists paediatric hospital in Victoria and care extends to children from Tasmania, New South Wales, across Australia and overseas.
With a passionate, highly skilled and committed staff campus wide of close to 4,000, they provide a full range of clinical services, tertiary care and health promotion and prevention programs for children and young people.
The hospital is the designated state-wide major trauma centre for paediatrics in Victoria and a Nationally Funded Centre for cardiac and liver transplantation.
They also lead a number of state-wide services, including:
- Victorian Paediatric Rehabilitation Service: delivering paediatric rehabilitation services to children, adolescents and their families.
- Victorian Paediatric Palliative Care Program: providing a multidisciplinary approach to palliative care for children across Victoria.
- Victorian Forensic Paediatric Medical Service providing assessment and care for abused, assaulted and neglected children and adolescents.
- Victorian Infant Hearing Screening Program: conducting hearing screenings of newborn babies while they are in hospital. The delivery of this service involves working with diagnostic audiology and early intervention services from across
- Victoria, Australian Hearing, Cochlear Implant Clinic, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, The University of Melbourne School of Audiology and Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
Sponsorship and relocation packages are available to the right candidates.
This role may require professional registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Agency (AHPRA) https://www.ahpra.gov.au/
Role and responsibilities
A Registered Psychiatric Nurse is responsible for ensuring that clinical practice and delivery of care is consistent with the hospital and Australian Nurses and Midwifery Council standards. You will be responsible for providing comprehensive, safe, evidence-based practice within an adolescent mental health in-patient setting, facilitating optimal mental health outcomes; performing within your scope of practice and competence related to assigned responsibilities as discussed with the care delivery team; retaining responsibility for individual actions and accountability for care provided.
Direct Comprehensive Care
- Fulfil duty of care while understanding and practicing within own scope of practice in accordance with Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council guidelines.
- Integrate mental health nursing and health care knowledge, skills and attitudes to provide safe, recovery focused and effective care.
- Conduct comprehensive and systematic mental health nursing assessment to improve the quality of nursing care.
- Use a range of clinical measures and semi-structured assessment techniques to collect relevant and accurate data.
- Ability to establish, maintain and appropriately conclude therapeutic relationships.
- Determine agreed priorities for improving the mental health needs of individuals, families and/or carers and the milieu.
- Provision and implementation of quality clinical mental health care.
- Prioritises workload based on the individuals/milieu needs, acuity and optimal time for intervention.
- Plans for continuity of care to achieve collaboration between the young person, their families/carers and out-patient clinicians to enable expected outcomes.
Support of Systems
- Utilise EMR or other hospital IT programs to document and record nursing activity.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Plans nursing care in consultation with individuals/groups, significant others and the multidisciplinary health care team. Education
- Participates in professional development to enhance nursing practice.
- Contribute to the learning culture of Banksia ward by providing support and guidance at the point of care (mentorship, preceptorship)
- Uses best available evidence, standards and guidelines to evaluate nursing performance.
- Demonstrates analytical skills in accessing and evaluating health information and research evidence.
- Practises in accordance with legislation affecting nursing practice and health care. Practises within professional
Qualifications and experience
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) administered though the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (APHRA)
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing personal and professional development, as evidenced in a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) record/Profession al practice Portfolio.
- Either completion or working toward a Post Graduate qualification in the area of Mental Health Nursing
- Recent clinical experience within an acute mental health care setting, preferably in child and adolescent or youth mental health.
- Employees are required to undertake a National Criminal Record Check and a Working with Children Check prior to commencing employment
- Employees are required to maintain a valid Working with Children’s Check throughout their employment
- A current, full drivers licence for the State of Victoria which is appropriate for the type of vehicle being driven, and comply with any restrictions on their licence (e.g. wearing glasses) while undertaking hospital duties (If applicable)
- Employees are required to maintain compliance with the hospital's “Staff Immunisation - Prevention of Vaccine Preventable Diseases” procedure.
Key selection criteria
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrated ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and autonomously as required
- Effective time management, documentation and organisational skills
- Proven ability to work independently and demonstrated initiative in performing duties.
- Ability to work well under pressure and be flexible to changing priorities and environment