CONSTRUCTION & ENGINEERING
Senior Environmental Scientist – Melbourne
Salary: $90,000 - $120,000
Position: Full Time
Our Client is a nationally recognised multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy providing quality services and solutions to the development, property and urban infrastructure sectors for almost 50-years. Offices in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney employ 150 engineers, scientists, technicians, and support staff who safely deliver fit for purpose outcomes to time, scope, budget and quality expectations offering clients a great return on their investment.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure that tasks undertaken comply with safe working practices and adhere to the requirements of Our clients OHS&W policies
- Technical Direction and Advice
- Provide technical leadership and advice that is current, insightful and imaginative
- Acquire necessary up-to-date technical information on a personal and corporate level by actively referring to sources such as regulatory requirements, government publications, professional magazines / institutions and peers
- Assist to build technical expertise and contribute to the dissemination of new knowledge to the team
- Contribute to the ongoing development of an in-house technical forum to encourage discussion, learning and cross-pollination of creative and technical ideas
- Provide direction and guidance on the necessary technical approach in relation to delivery of Environmental projects.
- Assess prospects and provide solution and advice.
- Review and check report conformance to recognised technical standards
- Company Engineering Quality Management System
Team Leadership and Management
- In conjunction with the Environmental Team Leader, encourage, inspire and motivate department staff and thereby provide a role model
- In conjunction with the Environmental Team Leader, manage the staff to achieve the required outcomes of the Environmental Business Plan
- Assist with recommendation and implementation of staff training and development activities
- Positively encourage the team to improve workflow and efficiency
- Provide mentoring and problem resolution services to the team
- Liaise with the Team Leaders of other departments in relation to cross-department projects and on matters of mutual concern
- Resource staff as necessary
- Assist the Environmental Team Leader to conduct regular performance reviews of staff in line with company procedures
Production Output and Control
- Ensure that agreed customer delivery times and service requirements are met
- Manage the quality of work delivered to ensure consistency with project requirements and scope of work quoted and/or contracted
- Implement and maintain clear useful measures (KPI’s) in conjunction with the Environmental Team Leader, to track performance in those areas outlined in the Business Plan
- Assist the Environmental Team Leader in monitoring monthly and annual targeted levels
- of sales, profit and productivity and ensure orderly and efficient achievement of client targets
- Identify, quantify and implement (where appropriate) business process improvements
- and enhanced levels of customer service in consultation with the Environmental Team Leader.
Services and Pricing
- Ensure that our services and resources provided are consistent with our Business Plans
- In conjunction with the Environmental Team Leader, ensure that prices and charge-out rates are monitored continually and maintained at suitable levels in order to achieve targeted margins and profitability while creating opportunities for consistent growth
- In conjunction with the Environmental Team Leader, seek out opportunities for growth into new areas which are consistent with our corporate strategies
- Instil a strong mindset amongst the team of profit and price discipline
Client Relations and Business Development
- In conjunction with the Environmental Team Leader, develop and implement sales and marketing strategies
- Establish and maintain relationships with existing customers, in order to maintain loyalty, build volume or cross-sell
- Provide an environment whereby the company can provide a timely, responsive and accurate input to client requests.
- Promote the company’s services by participating in relevant industry association activities
- Keep abreast of issues affecting our market and respond proactively
- Attend to routine administrative matters in relation to personnel.
- Facilitate change and improved administrative control in the department
- Maintain reliable and accurate information and adhere to all document control procedures
- Ensure that all administration matters in relation to your position are attended to in a timely, efficient and expedient manner.
- Accurately record time spent on individual jobs and record on time sheet daily
- Ensure that all tasks undertaken and all products are consistent with the requirements of the FMG Engineering Quality System.
- Encourage, promote and ensure that a culture of mandatory compliance to FMG Engineering procedures is sustained.
- Internal: Environmental Team Leader, Environmental Teams (nationally), SA Manager Buildings & Infrastructure, other Administration Staff, other Department Managers External: Clients, Government departments, Professional Bodies, Suppliers, Contractor and Sub- Contractors
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
(R) – Required
(D) – Desirable (training could be provided)
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor of Science or Engineering or relevant tertiary qualification (R)
- Previous significant experience (5+ years) in delivering environmental projects in the areas of due diligence, audit, contamination, risk assessment and remediation (R)
- Proven project management expertise in relevant field (R)
- Proven ability in driving necessary change (R)
- Demonstrated capability in report writing at a high level (R)
- Significant team leadership experience (R)
- Demonstrated client contact, liaison and management skills (R)
Commercial acumen (R)
- Demonstrated ability to successfully win new work (D)
- Demonstrated competency in providing environmental advice, strategies and solutions
- Able to convey ideas and solutions effectively to clients (R)
- Ability to successfully maintain existing client relations and build a rapport with clients (R)
- Good communication skills at all levels (R)
- Ability to influence others – good negotiation skills (R)
- Ability to measure performance and implement improvements (R)
- Ability to monitor project budgets and set targets (R)
- Desire to seek out new work and new clients to grow the business (R)
- High level of computing skills in email, Windows and Microsoft packages (R)
- Ability to follow process and measure own and team output (R)
- Ability to build team unity (R)
- Concern for Quality
- Acts to minimise errors and maintain high standards of quality (R)
- Interpersonal Skills
- Able to understand, interpret and respond clearly to others (R)
- Strong relationship manager (R)
- Able to motivate others (R)
- Grace under pressure (R)
- Able to work effectively with a wide variety of situations, individuals or groups (R)
- Prepared to travel interstate as required (R)
- Analytical Skills – Able to break down complex problems and work logically to a solution (R)
- Conceptual Thinking – Able to see how issues can impact on other aspects of the business (R)
- Street Smart (R)
- Able to embrace the big picture and still drive daily requirements (R)
- Acts to acquire, expand and use technical knowledge and to distribute work-related
- knowledge to others (R)
Willingness to Lead
- Acts to appropriately and effectively use authority to achieve results for the long term
- good of the organisation (can confront issues) (R)
- Self-motivated to succeed (R)
- Team player (R)
- Ability to align team direction (R)
Works cooperatively and openly with others as a team as opposed to working
- Acts to align one’s behaviour with the needs, priorities and goals of the organisation
- Excellent Salary: From $90,000 – $130,000 DOE + Super
- Sponsorship available to the right candidate
- Work/Life balance including the possibility to work a compressed 9-day fortnight and the ability to mix working from home with working in the office
- Cultural leave days
- Professional development program – We continually assist our team with on the job internal and external training
- Ability to purchase up to 2 weeks additional annual leave
- Professional Memberships paid for by the company
- Service Recognition Awards
- Access to Employee Assistance Programe
- Opportunity to mentor others
If you are interested or would like to hear more information on this role, email Alan Daly with your CV at [email protected], or phone +353 (0)87 120 9681 or apply through our link.
Why apply through NexVentur
- We will offer you an exceptional career & relocation service for Ireland, Australia and the UK.
- We can assist with Visas, Flights, Insurance, Tax Advice, Bank & Forex and many more.
- We make life moves easy by creating life moving solutions.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Broswe all our vacant roles here