CONSTRUCTION & ENGINEERING
Tunnel Engineer – MAT/ECVT/HRT/Drill & Blast – FIFO - 5469
Location: New South Wales FIFO
Salary: $150,000 - $220,000 DOE
Position: Full Time
Join a mammouth and ongoing $13bn project in New South Wales. Our client is leading the charge in driving renewables forward in Australia. Love the FIFO life and earn top dollar. Over and above excellent base salaries, our client is offering 16.7% uplift, $30k Site allowance, $10k Bonus and 11% Super!They are offering a FIFO roster from any of the main cities across Australia. They offer state-of-the-art camp and facilities to support the FIFO lifestyle, you will have all your recreational activities covered at camp.
The project is set to run until 2028.
Role and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for performing onsite tunnel and underground works engineering on behalf of the Owners team in oversight of contractor activities to ensure that the built product meets contractual requirements and construction works are conducted in a way that meets project objectives. This role reports directly to the Quality Manager – Construction. The key purpose of this role is to proactively work to prevent short, medium and longer-term legacy issues that could compromise the asset performing in the way it is designed to.
Maintain the highest standard of health and safety performance; implement safety plans, exhibit behaviours consistent with the Values, lead by example with colleagues, team members; and act in accordance with SHL Health & Safety policies.
- Meeting with the engineering team to discuss the scope and scale of the project.
- Assisting with the drafting of IDRIS Preliminary Design Reports.
- Providing contractors with technical drawings and engineering documents.
- Conducting on-site safety and progress inspections.
- Providing program support and resolving construction issues. Tunnelling and Underground Works
- Ensure underground construction works are carried out in accordance with the latest IFC drawings, specifications and other relevant documents; Detect and immediately report to the Project Manager Underground any discrepancies, omissions or faults in such documents, including recommended measures to be taken.
- Provide guidance when necessary so that all inspections, tests, acceptances and remedies will be carried out in the best interest of the project, in accordance with the latest revision of the design.
- Constantly review the Contractor’s activities, with the aim of detecting any deficiency of performance before the occurrence of delays or a reduction in quality of the work.
- Review and provide commentary on the Contractor’s monthly reports, including review support as required of the Contractor’s monthly claims.
- Ensure inspection and construction monitoring duties of the underground works are completed in accordance with the Construction Management Plan.
- Monitor the deployment of the Contractor’s resources (plant, equipment and personnel) on-site, confirming daily the Contractor’s resource reports, including, where applicable, resources working on variations and day works.
- Oversight of the on-site underground construction activities to ensure compliance with Planning Conditions and Consents and regulatory and Licence conditions;
- Daily/weekly agreement of the Contractor’s contemporary records, including weather conditions and resource levels, including work on any variations.
- Support effective monitoring and oversight of underground works including TBM, tunnelling & drill and blast.
- Participate in joint assessment (with the Contractor) of actual ground conditions encountered in the underground works and comparison with the baseline conditions set out in the GBR;
- Assessment of geohazards notified by the Contractor and joint determination in collaboration with Owner’s GBR team of appropriate methods of mitigating such geohazards;
- Monitoring and assessment of the underground conditions on a daily basis supported by a team of experienced geotechnical engineers and geologists.
- Monitor stock of tunnel segments on site to ensure adequate available quantities of ground support are on hand.
- Monitor deposition of tunnel spoil at various approved locations.
- Monitor tunnel water inflows and treatment and discharge of the same
- Support the on-site Quality Management team and Project Engineer – Quality – Tunnels on tunnel engineering and underground construction work on behalf of the Owners team in the oversight of contractor activities, ensuring that the built product meets contractual requirements and construction works are conducted in a way that meets client project objectives.
- Ensure that all necessary documentation is being produced and recorded.
- Ensure the works are being carried out in accordance with the latest IFC drawings, specifications and other relevant documents.
- Monitor/prepare the daily reports on all works in progress at the site and report to the Quality Manager, not limited to daily plant and equipment, key KPI indicators, resources onsite, weather, acces & road conditions.
- Attend, Review, Witness and Hold Points and monitor the program of the Contractor’s ITP’s in the 6 week lookahead timeframe and manage a register of ITP progress and NCR’s.
- Maintain up to date, accessible and accurate versions of necessary site drawings, documents and records up to date and have accessible hard copies on site as required.
- Prepare all documentation necessary for all site interactions with the Contractor.
- Attend Contractor’s quality audits.
- Review Contractor´s Lot records.
- Ensure daily physical attendance on site at all active work fronts, across all areas of responsibility and ensure accurate electronic contemporaneous records are stored, including site photos.
- Ensure all communications to the Contractor and within the Owner’s Team regarding QA and non conformance are managed via ACONEX
- Project Manager – Underground Works: Receive day to day direction and advice to assist in meeting project objectives
- Site Surveillance and Assurance Officers (Civil, Safety, Enviro): Provide technical support
- Project Engineer – QA (Tunnelling):
- Contractor personnel and managers
- Cooma based staff as required
- Contractor’s staff and workforce as required
Skills and Experience
- Degree qualifications in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or similar field satisfying the eligibility requirements for Corporate Membership of the Institution of Engineers Australia.
- Minimum 5 years experience working as a tunnel engineer on large scale, civil engineering or
- infrastructure projects.
- Experience with tunnel construction in hard and soft rock conditions.
- In-depth knowledge of drill and blast, NATM and TBM excavation techniques.
- Knowledge of trenchless construction.
- Knowledge of geological face mapping
- Detailed knowledge of geology and structural engineering.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proficient with CAD and AutoCAD design software.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively as part of a team and building effective working relationships with both internal stakeholders and contractor personnel. .
- Able to quickly and effectively adapt to changing circumstance demands in a measured and constructive way.
- Ability to read and understand work scopes, technical specifications and drawings, conceiving suitable, safe methods to execute and complete works.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Sound knowledge of Quality, OH&S, EEO and Environmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Full time position
- Salary range from $150-220 DOE
- Excellent uplift, site allowance, bonus and super
- Sponsorship available
If you are interested or would like to hear more information on this role, email Conor Shanagher with your CV at [email protected].
Why apply through NexVentur
NexVentur is a recruitment and relocation agency operating in Australia and Ireland. We have the contacts and contracts with significant clients in both countries to place staff in both countries, specializing in Construction, Healthcare, Education, Finance, Sales & Marketing, HR and Admin and Hospitality.
- We offer you an exceptional career & relocation service for Ireland, Australia and the UK.
- If you’re looking to relocate, we can assist with:
Flights with discounts and perks ideal for long-haul journeys
Professional registration, tickets and licenses
Banking, forex and tax
Household removals, vehicle export, pet relocation
- We make life moves easy by creating life moving solutions.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Browse all our vacant roles here
Follow us on social media for more updates: