Regional Work in Australia | NexVentur Relocation & Recruitment
Regional Work experience

Happy days doing regional work in Australia

Happy days doing regional work in Australia

Regional work is a topic that pops up frequently when we’re helping people plan their move to Australia. What is it? How do I get it? Why would I need it?

Regional work, also called ‘specified work’ is work required by the Australian government in a specified industry and area. If you’re travelling on a 417 working holiday you’ll need to complete 88 days’ (or three calendar months) in order to apply for a second-year visa.

You’ll want to have an open-minded approach to regional work. Most people say it’s the best time, but they wouldn’t do it again. Many of our candidates choose to do their regional work at the beginning of their year in Australia. It’s a good idea to get it done… plus it’s a great way to meet other people on working holiday visas.

Happy days on a solar farm

We recently helped Siobhán McKeon, a marketing clerk in from Longford and Daragh Mc Partland, a mechanic from Leitrim, make the move. They opted to do their 88 days first. After a two week holiday to get settled in their new country, they headed off to a solar farm. Daragh drove excavators while Siobhán did appropriate labouring.

“Working on the solar farm gave us the opportunity to meet plenty of people in the same boat as ourselves and we also managed to save a lot of money,” Siobhán told us. “I began working as a laborer but I was later trained on site to drive a Moxy truck, and that gave me all the benefits that come with being an operator. Daragh has been working as an excavator operator on site.”

Things to note about Regional Work
  • A second-year visa is only available to people who have completed three months, or 88 days of specified work (also known as regional work) in listed regions while on their original working holiday visa. See below a breakdown of what type of work qualifies.
  • It’s also important to ensure you do your regional work in a qualifying area. You can check this on a postcode list (scroll to the bottom of the link) that you should check to ensure your specified work employment is in the right area/region in Australia so that it’s counted towards your 88 days for the 2nd year visa.
  • Once you’re ready to apply for a second year visa, you’ll will need to provide evidence of this work on a Form 1263 – Employment Verification form.
  • You can apply for it while still inside Australia or after you have left
  • The processing time for this visa ranges between 3 days to 3 weeks usually, once the forms arrive with the embassy.
Third year visa for Australia

You can extend your stay another year, provided you’ve done six months’ (or 179 days) regional work. It’s possible to apply while you’re still in Australia or after you’ve left the country. Fortunately, the eligibility and application procedures are identical to the 2nd year visa, so you’ll know what to expect by this time. Of course NexVentur can help make the process go smoothly.

What work qualifies as specified work?

The following industries and areas are approved for specified work:

  • Tourism and hospitality in northern or remote and very remote Australia
  • Plant and animal cultivation in regional Australia
  • Fishing and pearling in regional Australia
  • Tree farming and felling in regional Australia
  • Mining in regional Australia
  • Construction in regional Australia
  • Bushfire recovery work in declared bushfire affected areas only
  • Flood recovery work in declared flood recovery areas only, undertaken on or after 1 January 2022 (for applications lodged on or after 1 July 2022)
  • Critical COVID-19 work in the healthcare and medical sectors anywhere in Australia

Here’s a comprehensive list of  jobs that qualify for regional work, from Australian Home Affairs.

How to get started on your visa application

NexVentur has partnered with  VisaFirst to ensure the visa application process is professional and smooth. Simply apply online!

apply now for your visa

How NexVentur can help you:

We have contracts all over Australia to supply companies with regional workers. From farming to labouring, we’ll be able to find you a job to get your 88 days done! Many of our permanent roles are also in areas that qualify for regional work. When you talk to one of our recruiters they’ll be able to advise you.

Our suite of services includes:

  • Recruitment in Ireland and Australia
  • Arranging your visas
  • Assisting with professional registrations
  • Flights with extra baggage, priority boarding and lounge access
  • Setting up your overseas bank account
  • Setting up your Australian Tax File Number (TFN)
  • Money transfer
  • Mortgages
  • Assisting with move logistics
  • Relocation advice – all members of our team have relocated at least once in our lives, so we know how it feels and the challenges you face.

Book your free consultation now and let’s help you get started on your next adventure.

digger driver jobs in australia nexventur specified work on a solar farm

For a fast answer to your queries, why not contact us today

Contact Us