Top 10 tips for moving abroad
Moving overseas is a big step but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Whether you’re moving to Australia or returning home to Ireland (or anywhere worldwide), use this checklist to plan your move and remember some of the most important things for your to-do list.
- Plan your move by speaking (in person if possible) to your local international moving provider to find the best option that suits your needs.
- Always use professional moving boxes. Shipments are often handled several times so the right box or carton will ensure no damages occur during transit. Keep an inventory of your boxes with details of what is in them, it really helps when you’re unpacking on the other side.
- Prepare all customs documentation well in advance – your moving company can guide you through this.
- Keep all screws for beds, tables, remotes and other essential items in the one box and clearly label it for easy access.
- Discuss insurance options. It’s a necessity when moving
- Close off gym and other leisure memberships, advise your bank you are relocating and obtain school and medical records prior to departure
- Check what you can and cannot bring in with you. Different countries have different laws on prohibited or dutiable items such as food and alcohol.
- Disconnect your refrigerator 48 hours prior to moving, clean it and allow it to dry adequately.
- Chat to local charities or friends about left over items (furniture, food, cleaning products) and give them to a good home
- Ask questions: it is not often you move overseas so ensure you know exactly what the process is. There are no stupid questions.
Through its partner programme, NexVentur can assist with overseas moves worldwide:
- Household contents
- Pet relocation
- Vehicle import
Book a free consultation to get started